2006-01-04

Globalization

I would like, today, to tell you about all the exotic places I have eaten at in Japan. Exhibit A:

Yes, that is a good old Starbucks. This particular Starbucks is located in Sakae (Rich part of Nagoya, Sakae sort of means "prosperity"). For anyone wondering, yes, Starbucks in Japan is just as popular as Starbucks in America. In fact, when you walk in one here in Japan, you would think you are back in America...Except for the Japanese Menu. Exhibit B:

I know, that is really a poor picture and does not capture the whole menu. I felt a little strange because I was a white guy taking a picture of a menu. I choose not to be too strange, being white is strange enough for many Japanese...Especially the Japanese children. The next picture is another very delicious and fun place you can go and eat. Exhibit C:


Hardrock Cafe in Nagoya is truly a treat and I would recommend anyone visiting to go. It has delicious steak in large servings costing only a little more than one in the U.S.A. Also it comes with English menus and Japanese waitresses with quasi english speaking abilities. When we went here, there was a large group of Australians with a large group of loud children. It was Halloween time so there were decorations everywhere (Yes, there is a small following here in Japan who celebrate Halloween). The children ran around and literally destroyed said decorations. Did I dare to take a picture with the parents right there? Yes I did. Exhibit C-Bad Children:

I covered the child's body with an adorable picture of a kitten to disguise the identity (I don't want lawsuits here). As you notice, the child is preparing to throw the poor and not so scary pumpkin onto the floor to destroy it. There were things thrown, smashed, and punched around us through the whole dinner. The poor and nice Japanese manager tried to get the parents to stop the kids from being so naughty. But this is a feat impossible because well it takes an adult to stop a child....and the Australians were no adults. They were also rowdy, hanging off railings, being drunk, and loud...encouraging their kids to smash things. I say, might as well put breasts on the Japanese manager because he had to be the mother to all the "Children" that night. But, I cannot complain, it was like watching a really funny movie. Now for Exhibit D:


I have not visited the Denny's here in Japan yet because frankly I am scared of the food at Denny's in America. Should I dare go and indulge in a craptastic night of dingy food? The bigger question is, have the Japanese improved in any way the Denny's we have loved? I visited Denny's in the US many nights with my friends Tyler and Andrew...so maybe in homage to them, I will explore the Japanese version of the underbelly of American cuisine. Oh and here is another Starbucks!!!

And yes, like Starbucks in America, this one is also located a block away!

Here is a Mercedes Dealership...They like them over here. And what blog post would be complete without Japanese Elvis impersonators!
This is a picture of a Japanese Elvis impersonator competition. Some were really really good believe it or not...because I certainly didn't!

I hope you really liked this post...next post will be about the School sponsored trip to the middle of nowhere. Oh and please leave a comment.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice Max! LOL I like the pictures and the log...so keep them coming. I love you and Jessica very much.
Jane/MOM

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha i love the kitten max, that is great censorship. anyway wow those japanese sure like america, i geuss. well any way keep up with the great blogs and pictures, we miss you

paul, mom, and dad

Anonymous said...

Heh...did you end up visiting Denny's as an homage to Tyler and me?

Are there Japanese goth kids that hang out there at odd hours of the night? Or waitresses with exceedingly pointy teeth?

Anonymous said...

so the kitten is really hilarious and so is everything else...but in all honesty...who knew i would need someone who knows russian for a class but the random kid that knows russian is in japan?? what are the odds?? hope you guys are having fun!!!

Kara

Anonymous said...

...but i bet you can't purchase starbucks with your student meal card!!
Sandra